[Mailman-Users] Encoding problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 28 03:02:11 CEST 2004

Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:

>Hi, I just wonder if anyone could explain to me what has gone wrong on the
>following Mailman listinfo page and what needs to be done to fix it:

The text in the "info" box is not HTML despite the confusing
documentation. It is text only. Any included "<", ">" or "&"
characters are escaped.

To include HTML, you must follow the "Edit the public HTML
pages"->"General list information page" links and edit that replacing
the <MM-List-Info> tag with your desired HTML.

>I would actually like to go into the source code and not only fix the
>encoding problem, but also replace the HTML code with something a bit more
>modern and CSS-styled.

You can replace the entire template as above if you wish. See
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp
for info about editing other templates beyond the three that can be
edited this way.

>How do I proceed to do these changes? I've downloaded the Mailman source
>code, but can't find the files that generate these HTML files. In which
>scripts do I need to look, and do I need to make large changes?

Changes to the source will affect the entire installation, not just a
particular list or virtual domain and are more difficult to maintain
across updates. It's better to edit the templates.

That said, the modules involved in presenting the listinfo page are
Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py and Mailman/HTMLFormatter.py.