[Mailman-Users] Problems with relocating a list
acc at anthonychavez.org
Tue Sep 21 20:49:13 CEST 2004
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Moving a Mailman list from one server to a new one has been a *very*
smooth process for the most part, but I'm noticing some small quirks in
Here's an account of how I accomplished this.
1. Installed Mailman 2.1.5, Postfix 2.1.4, and Apache 2.0.50 on the new
server. These versions exactly match the ones on the old server.
2. Went through the process dictated in FreeBSD-post-install-notes,
INSTALL, README, and README.POSTFIX, which essentially involved
editing main.cf, httpd.conf, adding MTA = 'Postfix' to mm_cfg.py and
creating the "mailman" list.
3. Under the direction of section 3.4 in the FAQ Wizard, I copied the
data, archives and lists directories from the old server to the new
one. But rather than clobbering the pre-existing directories, I
copied only the *relevant* directories from archives and lists
(i.e. archives/private/listname* and lists/listname). Nothing was
copied from data and the "mailman" list was not copied.
4. Ran withlist -l -r fix_url listname && genaliases
5. Started postfix and qrunner.
6. Configured Apache on the old site to proxy and Postfix to relay to
the new server while DNS changes propagated.
Now, the aforementioned quirks:
1. The old lists are not advertised on the new Web site.
2. Apache will not let me access the public archives (that were private
before the move) and I get a 403. I'm sure this has to do with
Apache 2's default deny policy, but not entirely sure how to deal
with it (I'm still somewhat of an Apache 2 newbie, but I've had a few
years experience with 1.x).
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Anthony Chavez http://www.anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc at anthonychavez.org jabber:acc at jabber.anthonychavez.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the Mailman-Users