[Mailman-Users] Problems with aliases file

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Apr 7 05:11:18 CEST 2005

Vincent Yonemitsu wrote:

>Hey there. I am having problems with mailman. Here is what has happened so far.
>
>Downloaded the current release of mailman in tar and installed witht he gid for the mailman user.  Added a new list via command line. the owner can send to the mailing list and recieve but when another user tries to subscribe I get errors.

It seems then that you (the owner) can post so aliases and the
mailman/mail/mailman wrapper are probably OK.

>I am getting the one that says hat says it is running the scripts as nobody and they need to be run as mailman. So I figured I would try and setup a new alias file /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
>I copied the existing aliases file in /etc/aliases to that directory and removed all but the mailing list aliases.
>I then added the line
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
>to my /etc/postifix/main.cf file, Then I reset the permisions on that aliases file to mailman for user and group, and then rebooted. Then when I send an email to the list I get a 550 error saying the account does not exist? Am I suppposed to make an /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db file as well? I don't have makeman installed on that computer and I can't figure out how to install it. :( I do have it on another machine and copied the aliases file to it and created the aliases.db file using makeman hash aliases.db < aliases
>Then I copied that to the /data directory and reset its persmision to mailman and still get the same thing.
>
>I am at a loss as to what to do.

It seems to me your problem is with CGI wrappers, not the mail aliases
or wrapper. I.e., your web server is running as group 'nobody' and
your CGI wrappers were configured to expect group 'mailman'.

Rerun configure with whatever options you used the first time except
use --with-cgi-gid='nobody' then run "make install"