[Mailman-Users] brainstorming sending options (approval ofmoderated messages)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 8 20:11:42 CEST 2005

Christopher Adams wrote:

>I have a script that monthly removes the members of a list and then updates it from another file.
>The default for all members is 'moderated',including the only person who will send messages,  so as
>to prevent spammers from spoofing list owners email and sending to the 40,000 member list.

If you're not using bin/sync_members in your script, you might want to
consider it.

>I just need to clarify a couple of things about posting to lists. My tests show that if a subscriber
>is moderated and also is listed as a non-member who has permission to post, a post from that person
>is considered a post from a moderated member.
>
>So, assuming the above, the only way to allow this person to post without having to go through the
>approval process would be to send a message with the  Approved: password as the first line.
>
>Could someone verify that this is correct? Are there any other configuration options that would make
>this work without the sender having to intervene or send the Approved:password line?

I won't guarantee that there's no way, but as long as you don't change
the pipeline, I believe that there are no configurations that would
allow a moderated member to post without an Approved: header/line
without going through moderation.

Of course, if there are unmoderated members or non-members allowed to
post, the moderated member could spoof one of these other addresses
and post that way, but you seem to have that covered.