[Mailman-Users] encoding errors

Heather Madrone heather at madrone.com
Thu Apr 14 20:25:44 CEST 2005

At 9:03 PM -0500 4/13/05, Larry Stone wrote:
>On 4/13/05 8:20 PM, Brad Knowles at brad at stop.mail-abuse.org wrote:
> > At 6:14 PM -0700 2005-04-13, Heather Madrone wrote:
> >>  Does anyone know why there are so many encoding errors with posts to this
>>>  list?
>>
>> Encoding errors?  What do you mean?
>
>I think she means this:
>[Error: Formatting error: Non-hexadecimal character in QP encoding]
>which I see in many list messages when logged into the shell on my computer
>and reading with pine (pine 4.58 running on MacOS X 10.3.8; for
>completeness, the MTA is whatever version of postfix came with Mac OS X
>10.3). I saw it in a message tonight:
>
>Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:22:26 -0500
>From: Jess Mooers <jmooers at landmannassoc.com>
>To: Mailman Users List <mailman-users at python.org>
>Subject: [Mailman-Users] MailMan Not Sending

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I'm wondering if it happens when
the messages are converted to plain text.  Or maybe with the handling of extended
ASCII characters.

On this list, I see it with about 5% of the posts.  I'm running the same version of
Mailman as this list, and it doesn't happen on my list.

It seems like bad advertising for Mailman, and I'd be interested in helping to track
down the problem.

--
Heather Madrone  (heather at madrone.com)  http://www.madrone.com

A rolling stone gathers no mass.