[Mailman-Users] member_posting_only

kalin mintchev kalin at el.net
Wed Apr 20 02:05:33 CEST 2005

> Yes, this means that I (or a moderator) needs to read through the
> held queue and rescue any stray messages, but it only takes a few
> minutes a day.
>
> I think holding questionable messages is the best default because it
> allows the list-owner to remedy the situation.  If the default was to
> discard, you might miss some gems.
>
> I know that a lot of folks out there are intimidated by Mailman, and
> so I try to make it easy for them.  If they make a mistake, I go ahead
> and take care of things, if I can figure out what they were trying to
> do.

i agree with most of this. this is exactly the case - a list that was set
up according to a client specifications so that they didn't have to deal
with configuration and set up but still wanted to approve the messages.
it's kind of a busy press site where information has to be revised and
approved before sending out to the list. they don't read headers. and
their problem is that specially over the weekend when the list is not
moderated it gets filled with crap. and i can understand them specially if
they have to deal with about 10000 members to guess their alternative
email addresses - different companies, different countries even, etc...
just not possible...

my point was/is that the 'members_posting_only' is supposed to be for
members ONLY but it's not...