[Mailman-Users] List within a list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 20 06:19:35 CEST 2005

Kyle Kniepkamp wrote:

>	Do you have that backwards?
>
>No, when someone sends a mail to LIST2, even thought LIST1 is subscribed to LIST2, LIST1's admin gets a 'please confirm' email.

I was referring to your statement
>I am guessing adding the list name of LIST1 to LIST2's 'accept these
>nonmembers' would work, is this a viable solution?

The problem is not with LIST2. LIST2 is accepting the post and sending
it to LIST1. LIST1 is not accepting it without approval.

>	Depending on your settings for USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER and SENDER_HEADERS
>	in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py you may be able to accomplish what you want
>	by putting the LIST2-bounces address in LIST1's
>	accept_these_nonmembers.
>
>My USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER and SENDER_HEADERS look fine:
>
>USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = No
>SENDER_HEADERS = ('from', None, 'reply-to', 'sender')
>
>The other thing I am wondering about is that I have in "accept_these_nonmembers":
>
>^.*@*\.mydomain\.edu
>^.*@mydomain\.edu
>
>Shouldn't this allow any mail coming from @something.mydomain.edu or mydomain.edu to post to my list (LIST1)? LIST2 is list2 at something.mydomain.edu.
>
>I am confused (obviously) as to why a mail sent to LIST2 wont go directly to LIST1 if that list is subscribed to LIST2.

Because the poster is not a member of LIST1. If USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER is
No, all of the headers in SENDER_HEADERS in order are used to test
list membership, but only the From: header is used to test against the
*_these_nonmembers addresses and regexps.

There are a few ways to make this work.

You can set USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER to Yes. That will cause either Sender:
or the envelope sender to be matched against the *_these_nonmembers of
LIST1 and then the LIST2-bounces address is the one that will match
against LIST1's accept_these_nonmembers.

You can set LIST2 to anonymous which will make the From: in messages it
sends equal to the list address, but you probably don't want posts to
LIST2 to be anonymous.

You can subscribe the LIST2-bounces address to LIST1 and disable
delivery to that address. Then messages from LIST2 to LIST1 will
appear to come from a member of LIST1.