[Mailman-Users] Transferring a Mailman list from one web host to another

Stephan Golux stephan at goluxstudio.com
Sun Apr 24 17:59:03 CEST 2005

There are several issues involved when moving from one web hosting
provider to another, and wanting to take the mailing list with.  I am
curious about all of these, and would love some insight from someone who
understands this better than I.

1.  How do you transfer the list archives, so they remain usable on the
new host as they were on the old?

2.  How do you transfer the list characteristics, so that it operates in
the same fashion without having to retype and re-enter everything?

3.  How do you transfer the list membership, with everyone keeping their
passwords and their own preferences?

4.  IMPORTANT:  If there is no way to do this automatically, it is STILL
a problem to do by hand, and I would like further elucidation.  Assume
that I am transferring a list called "MAIL-LIST" that runs on a host
called listhost.com, which currently sits at old.ip.address and will
soon move to new.ip.address.  The problem is that all the administrative
pages seem to be accessible and changeable only by reference to domain
name... in other words I have to visit something called:

	http://listhost.com/mailman/admin/MAIL-LIST_listhost.com

In order to set up the transferred list.  But this URL only takes me
back to the host at the old ip address.

I can manually set my browser to:

	http://new.ip.address/mailman/admin/MAIL-LIST_listhost.com

And it seems to work.... but the second I hit any kind of SUBMIT button
to change any configurations, it just takes me back to the old system again.

Would love some elucidation.

Thanks

	-stephan golux