[Mailman-Users] appended email addresses on probe?

Thomas Hochstein ml at ancalagon.inka.de
Mon Apr 25 11:23:17 CEST 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>>  Obviously Mailman is forwarding a sample bounce in the probe message.
>
> 	No, Mailman didn't.  Some user did.

And that user is faking a Mailman probe message?

>>  Bounces can (and, regarding a mailing list, most probably will)
>>  countain more than one failed address.
>
> 	No, bounces for a mailing list should not contain more than one
> failed address, especially if it's a probe message -- those are
> always sent out to just one specific user.

As far as I see, Mailman was sending out non-VERPed messages to that
list's users. When those messages are non-deliverable, the MTA will
send a bounce back to the listname-bounces address, and that bounce
will contain many or all non-deliverable addresses, as it's only one
outgoing message delivered to many recipients. That's just how it
works.

Then Mailman will send out a (VERPed) probe message, and - as far as I
can tell from the message quoted by Michael - attach a sample bounce.
This bounce does not only contain the one failed address the probe is
send to, but also other failed addresses. (Sure, Michael or someone
else could have faked that probe message with an attached bounce, but
why should he?)

>>  "A bounce sample is attached below."
>
> 	All of which is totally bogus.  See above.

I don't think so.

-thh