[Mailman-Users] Installation problem: 500 internal server error

RT mfoc73 at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 27 12:26:18 CEST 2005

Apologies for posting an installation problem...  :(

I've just installed mailman, and am having a couple of problems. The
first is that http://dom.ain/mailman/ returns '403 forbidden', and any
other page (ie. http://dom.ain/create) returns '500 internal server error'.

The INSTALL file suggests that this could be a GID/UID problem, but this
doesn't seem very likely and I'm reluctant to reinstall (yet). There's
nothing relevant in either /var/log (apart from the Apache logs, below),
or in $prefix/logs/error.

There's nothing in Apache's 'error_log', but 'cgi.log' has some
interesting entries:

----
[2005-04-27 11:07:05]: uid: (mailman/mailman) gid: (mailman/mailman)
cmd: create
[2005-04-27 11:07:05]: directory is writable by others:
(/usr/local/home/mailman/mailman-2.1.5/cgi-bin)
----

I installed as user/grp mailman/mailman, and 'check_perms' reports no
problems. The cgi-bin directory in the message above is not actually
'writable by others'; its permissions are 'drwxrwsr-x'. I tried 'chmod
o+w', but this made no difference (and the message in cgi.log remained
the same).

Any ideas? One potential problem is that I've installed this on a
virtual server on which I don't have root permissions. I get an 'admin'
login which has various root-like capabilities, and I think I've
probably completed the root parts of the installation correctly, but I
can't be sure. The server is running Linux, but I don't think it's a
standard distribution; 'uname -a' returns 'Linux [mydomain] 2.4.29-hs-1'.

Many thanks -

RT