[Mailman-Users] virtual hosts and https

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Aug 1 18:44:04 CEST 2005

Dan Collins wrote:

>1) In the mm_cfg.py file, I have
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'xxxx.org'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'xxxx.org'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST) (NOTE: doesn't need quotes, right? It worked fine without quotes)

No quotes because DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST are variable
names with previously defined values.

>add_virtualhost('second-virtual-host.com', 'second-virtual-host.com') (NOTE: needs quotes or I get an error message when running mailmanctl restart)

Quotes required because 'second-virtual-host.com' and
'second-virtual-host.com' are string values. Without the quotes they
are interpreted as variable names and result in an error because they
have not been assigned values.

>Right now, the list I want to run from second-virtual-host and its admin pages come up under https://xxxx.org . When I try to use the web interface from second-virtual-host/mailman/admin/list-name, I get 404 error still under https://xxxx.org .
>
>I changed the list setting to second-virtual-host.com, so now Overview at the bottom of the page includes second-virtual-host.com, but all links at the bottom of the page (including Overview) shows the url as https://xxxx.org . In other words, I can not reach the list from second-virtual-host.com, either http or https.
>
>I hope that this message is clear enough to spell out my problem and hopefully initiate a useful response.

After making changes to the above things in mm_cfg.py
(DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN in particular, but the others too) and restarting
mailman, you must run fix_url under withlist to correct previously
stored list attributes. Run

bin/fix_url.py

for instructions. In your case, you probably want ultimately to run

bin/withlist -l -r fix_url list-name --urlhost=second-virtual-host.com

This will fix the links on the listinfo and other pages except perhaps
links in the archive. To fix existing links in the archives, you have
to rebuild them with bin/arch. Probably just

bin/arch --wipe list-name

if the archives/private/list-name.mbox/list-name.mbox file is complete.

I'm not sure about the 404 error. Does the url
https://second-virtual-host/mailman/admin/list-name work if you enter
it directly? If not, this needs to be addressed in the web server
configuration.