[Mailman-Users] problem with mailman user account creation confirmation

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Fri Aug 12 04:37:16 CEST 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 23:22, Abid Ghufran wrote:

> When a user visits the web site (page) of the created mailing list and
> registers his email address, he is supposed to get an email for
> confirmation. This does not happen.

It sounds like Mailman is having trouble sending to your local mail
server.  (Or if you are using Mailman 2.1 you forgot to start it.  Or
for Mailman 2.0 you forgot to add the required crontab entries.)

> Further, if I (mailing list admin) register a user (his email address)
> through the admin interface of mailman and then the user tries to
> send an
> email to the list, the mail is bounced stating that the "user" does
> not
> exist. Here the "user" is the name of the mailing list.

Your mail server is not recognizing your mailing list alias(es).  (Or
if you are using one of the mail server configurations that
automatically detects list presence and routes mail directly... there
is a setup problem there.)

You should start by searching the Mailman FAQ for hints on how to get
more information so you can solve these problems.  In particular
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?
req=show&file=faq03.014.htp> is probably a good starting point.

--
Jim Tittsler     http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship  http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/