[Mailman-Users] Privacy and Headers

R J Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 19:18:39 CEST 2005

Dear Brad,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, very helpful.

The headers expose the sender address and domain (the message-ID does the
latter, of course), which makes the 'hide sender...' option a bit confusing.
I must have misunderstood the thinking behind the "Hide the sender of a
message...." and the related privacy settings - could you explain them? (I
was hoping that it would also mean that users wouldn't be able to reply
privately to each other, because the messages' provenances would be totally
hidden.)

Could you give me some pointers to the relevant Mailman files I would need to
modify for the changes you suggested? Note that I'm not worried about
preserving threading, or more correctly, the anonymisation requirement
outweighs that of threading.

The anonymity is neither related to authorities nor paranoia, it's a user
requirement based on what they were previously using. At the moment, I have
added the 'edit email' patch so that I can trim out the headers by hand
(also, I can remove any disclaimer text and signatures that way). It's also
useful for testing what can and cannot be removed.

RJL

--

Robert Ladyman
Tel: +44 (0) 7732 771 649

Sent to you via the Magach Wireless Network
http://www.file-away.co.uk/rlan.htm