[Mailman-Users] no posts appear on a new list

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 23:48:59 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 23:22 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I'm just trying to set up mailman, but I can't make it work.
>
> When I send an email to a list, all I can see is this entry in "info"
> log of Postfix:
>
> Aug 22 23:18:58 mangoo2 postfix/local[12738]: 1BC3EF0021:
> to=<dupa at servername>, relay=local, delay=2, status=sent (delivered to
> command: /opt/mailman/mail/mailman post dupa)
>

> and that's it, no Postfix errors nor other entries, no mailman logs, no
> clue.
>
> What should I look for?

The postfix log is saying that it gave the message to the mailman
wrapper /opt/mailman/mail/mailman asking it to post to the list dupa.
All this looks good assuming both the wrapper
program /opt/mailman/mail/mailman and the list dupa both exist. I assume
also you are not showing any errors in your postfix log file(s).

There should have been an entry in one of the mailman logs. Where your
mailman logs are located depends on your installation, I'd make a guess
in your case its /opt/mailman/log. Are you sure there isn't any entry in
any of the mailman logs? It would be suspicious for the mail wrapper to
accept a message but not log it. I wonder if your mail wrapper is
actually executing. You can try piping a dummy message into the wrapper
with the same args as the user your postfix program runs as. Pay
particular attention in any of the logs to "group mismatch" errors. BTW,
did you check the system log?
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>