[Mailman-Users] Mailman bounces

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 25 02:00:04 CEST 2005

Darren G Pifer wrote:

>      Yesterday, one of our list admins sent mail to a bunch
>of his list serves, however, he got the same message from
>each one. I did not see anything is mailmans logs to know
>why this failed.
>
>Has anyone seen this and know a resolution?:
>
> mailman-bounces at list.odu.edu
>             08/23/2005 03:19
>listxxxx-owner at list.odu.edu
>             PM
>
>Subject
>                                       Uncaught bounce notification
>
>The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
>format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
>from it.  This mailing list has been configured to send all
>unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).
>
>For more information see: http://list.odu.edu/admin/listxxxx/bounce
>
>Our user needs to get these out TODAY! So any help is appreciated.

Most likely, the posts did go out when sent. Check Mailman's 'post' log
and maybe 'smtp' and 'smtp-failure' too.

The unrecognized bounce message means a message was received back at
the listname-bounces address which was not a recognizable delivery
status notification (DSN). This could happen because a subscribers
mail was undeliverable and that subscribers mail server sends back a
DSN in an unknown format. It can also be totally unrelated to the
post, or it can be a subscriber who received the post sending a reply
to the listname-bounces address.

The way to tell is to look at the actual message which was received at
the listname-bounces address and which was attached to the message you
quote above.