[Mailman-Users] Problem installing on Solaris 8

Steve Garcia sgarcia at bak.rr.com
Fri Dec 2 20:05:23 CET 2005

I'm trying to install Mailman 2.1.6 on a Solaris 8 machine.  There seems
to be a rather strange error and I'm not sure if it's a misconfiguration
of my machine or a problem with Mailman.

I had no problem with 'configure' or with 'make'.  I *did* use gcc --
there is a "cc" binary on the system, but the Sun compiler is *not*
present, and this was no problem during the compile phase.

However, when I got to 'make install' it seems there is a problem.  The
install process seems to want to call "cc", even though it was not
specified or used in either 'configure' or 'make'.

Here is the error I get:

8<---start------------------------------------------------------
    (cd ./$p ; umask 02 ; PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib
/opt/csw/bin/python setup.py --quiet install --install-lib
/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib  --install-purelib
/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib  --install-data
/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib); \
done
/opt/csw/lib/python2.3/distutils/dist.py:213: UserWarning: 'licence'
distribution option is deprecated; use 'license'
  warnings.warn(msg)
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
error: command 'cc' failed with exit status 1
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-packages'
Current working directory /export/home/users/steve/mailman-2.1.6/misc
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `doinstall'

The error message from "cc" is the message that you get because the Sun
compiler is not installed.  But why is it being called?  I've tried
taking /usr/ucb out of the path so that there is no "cc" binary
available, but then I get the error that there is no "cc".

OK, here's a workaround, but it's ugly.  I put a symlink pointing cc to
gcc and then made sure /usr/ucb was not in the path.  I got some warnings:

cc1: warning: "-Wno-deprecated" is valid for C++ but not C/ObjC

but the install finished.  It really sounds like there is something in
the Mailman install procedure that has "cc" hard coded.