[Mailman-Users] problem with mailman and qmail?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Dec 4 17:37:42 CET 2005

Kim Leandersson wrote:

>However, when the monthly reminder is sent out we (as postmaster) get
>the following (see below). Everywhere in the header we see
>mailman-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se and not
>manskor-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se. The problem also seems to be that
>mailman-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se isn't accepting any mails.

You need to arrange aliases or whatever qmail uses to route mail to
Mailman so that mail to mailman(-*)@... gets routed to the mailman
list regardless of which domain it is sent to.

>Any hints on how to get the maillists to send bounces to
>MAILLIST_NAME-bounces at domain.tld? I've tried both searching the Internet
>and talking to the Plesk support without any luck so any help is deeply
>appreciated.

This is by design. Password reminders are sent from the site list
because the particular user may be a member of more than one list, in
which case, sending the reminder from the list would require a
reminder per list. In the current implementation, the reminder is sent
once per site/virtual-host for all lists that include that member.

If you are using virtual hosts, the sitelist name refers to the one
site list, but depending on context, the domain associated with the
site list can be any of the virtual host email domains. Thus they all
have to be deliverable.

>##################### .qmail-manskor-bounces
>Plesk# .qmail-manskor-bounces
>|/var/qmail/bin/preline /var/qmail/bin/mm_wrapper
>/var/mailman/mail/mailman bounces manskor

I understand this is how qmail does routing, but this routes bounces
for the 'manskor' list. Do you have similar routing for all the
addresses of the mailman (site) list. I.e. .qmail-mailman,
.qmail-mailman-bounces, etc., and if so, they have to be made to apply
to all domains that mailman serves.

Also see <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/qmail-issues.html>.