[Mailman-Users] High usage -- making Mailman "nice"

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Dec 8 19:49:21 CET 2005

At 1:12 PM -0500 2005-12-08, John Dennis wrote:

>>  We're running MM v2.1.4-4, we're experiencing such high usage on our
>>  dual xeon server when mailman sends to 4000 users that port 25
>>  becomes unresponsive.  is there a way to "nice" the mailman delivery?
>
>  It sounds like your MTA is inefficient in some manner, is not a huge
>  load for a dual server backed with a high bandwith connection. How many
>  client connections can it simultaneously handle? Any chance you've got
>  DNS delays (especially reverse lookup)?

	They could also be doing all sorts of
authentication/authorization or anti-spam/anti-virus checks on their
outgoing mail.

	It is clearly stated in the FAQ that this is generally a bad idea
for outgoing mail from the mailing list, since all that stuff should
have been checked on the way in.

	The OP would be well-served to go to the Mailman FAQ Wizard at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> and search for
"performance", and read all the related FAQ entries.  If you go down
that list, I bet you'll find the problem and be able to relatively
easily fix it.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755