[Mailman-Users] Mailman port RH7.3/2.0.13 to FC4/2.1.5/Exim4

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Dec 13 17:10:37 CET 2005

Gary Stainburn wrote:

>I'm trying to port my existing mailman setup to my new server.  I've made note
>of the change of filesystem layout and followed the instructions for
>connecting to Exim4. I've configured Apache and the web interface to
>mailman's working fine.  I can perform admin functions and view the archives
>fine.
>
>However, I've missed or messed something because I've got two possibly related
>problems.
>
>1) starting the new service fails as below:
>
>[root at stan1 ~]# service mailman start
>Starting mailman: Site list is missing: mailman
>                                                           [FAILED]
>[root at stan1 ~]#
>
>In /var/log/mailman/error it shows:
>
>[root at stan1 ~]# tail -f /var/log/mailman/error
>Dec 12 22:42:15 2005 mailmanctl(5556): Site list is missing: mailman
>Dec 12 22:42:15 2005 (5556) Site list is missing: mailman

You have not created or moved your site list (named mailman) to the new
installation. Thus, mailmanctl refuses to start the queue runners.

>2) sending emails doesn't work. I've configured exim4 as described (fixing the
>path problem to the config.pck). I've included the bits I've added as well as
>the extract from /var/log/exim/main.log that shows the incoming email being
>processed.  There are no other log entries however, not in messages,
>main.log, or mailman/error.

The exim log looks fine. I think the messages are being delivered just
fine and are in /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/in/, but they aren't being
processed because the queue runners aren't running because of problem
1.

BTW, John Dennis has posted in the past that the FC4 Mailman package
includes a script for migrating everything from the old locations to
the new.