[Mailman-Users] Mailman under Cygwin - won't add list

Ben ben at ahualoa.net
Wed Dec 21 09:47:12 CET 2005

Hi folks,

Some more information.  I tried to banish all knowledge of the local
hostname by providing the --with-mailhost and --with-urlhost arguments
at the time of configure:

$ ./configure --with-mail-gid=mm --with-cgi-gid=Administrators
--with-groupname=mm --with-cgi-ext=.exe --with-mailhost=ahualoa.net
--with-urlhost=ahualoa.net

Then I did the 'make' and 'make install' and 'check_perms'.

Now, when I try to add a list, I get a python error!

$ newlist --urlhost=ahualoa.net --emailhost=ahualoa.net friends
ben at ahualoa.net
Initial friends password:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist", line 254, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist", line 196, in main
    mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 488, in Create
    self.__lock.lock()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 243, in lock
    self.__write()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 422, in __write
    fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/local/mailman/locks/<site>.lock.LittleGuy.2992.0'

I have no idea why it is trying to create this lock file, nor why it
would be unable to do so.  The permissions are all normal:

$ ls -al /usr/local/mailman
total 0
(...)
drwxrwsrwx+  2 mailman mm    0 Dec 20 20:55 icons
drwxrwsrwx+  3 mailman mm    0 Dec 20 22:32 lists
drwxrwsrwx+  2 mailman mm    0 Dec 20 12:00 locks

The locks folder is empty.  I tried running the 'newlist' command as
user 'mailman', and as a user with Adminstrator priveleges.  In both
cases it gives that same IOError.

Can anyone help?  All I am trying to do is create a simple mailing list.

Thanks,
Ben