[Mailman-Users] Mailman under Cygwin - won't add list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 22 23:55:15 CET 2005

Ben wrote:

>I have tried this.  However, I get the exact same error as before:
>
>admin(704):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 591,
>in __load
>admin(704):     fp = open(dbfile)
>admin(704): IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>'/usr/local/mailman/lists/friends/config.pck'
>
>I have attached the whole error log in case it helps.

I don't need it.

>The "config.pck" file exists, and it has 660 permissions:
>	-rw-rw----  1 Ben None 3607 Dec 22 12:10 config.pck

You need to run bin/newlist as mailman or some user in the
Administrators group, not as Ben in group None. Either that or do

chown -R mailman:Administrators /usr/local/mailman/lists/friends

after creating the list, or creat the list via the web create interface.

>As before, it is the 660 permission bits, not the owner/group, which is
>causing Mailman to choke.  I can't understand why Mailman's 'newlist'
>uses this permission mask to create files which Mailman will
>subsequently refuse to read.

Because it expects to be run as the mailman user. And because Mailman's
security scheme is based on group permission and exclusion of other.

The underlying problem here is Windows lack of support for setting
effective user and group ids. This breaks all kinds of things that
Mailman assumes about its environment.