[Mailman-Users] Mailman under Cygwin - won't add list

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 23 15:16:56 CET 2005

    Ben> Wow.  I had no idea at all that it was possible to run Apache
    Ben> _inside_ Cygwin.  The Apache website directs Windows people
    Ben> to just install and run, so the alternate route is not well
    Ben> known.

You might want to just take a look at the list of stuff that Cygwin's
setup.exe supports.  I imagine Apache (some version) is on the list.

    >> Maybe the solution is to run Apache under Cygwin or run a
    >> mailman only version of Apache under Cygwin that listens on a
    >> different port.

    Ben> Arrgh, it's hard to imagine that moving _closer_ to Cygwin is
    Ben> the right direction, when all the trouble seems to stem from
    Ben> Cygwin itself.

No, the trouble stems from mixing different models of security and
other OS services.  While Cygwin is a big PIMA, too, there's no doubt
in my mind that people who are using Cygwin for one app are better off
using it for apps that cooperate with the first, too.  I do know of a
few exceptions, but they are all out-and-out bugs in the helper
applications.