[Mailman-Users] Mailman on UML?

Todd Slater dontodd at columbus.rr.com
Fri Feb 4 14:59:52 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:48:47PM -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 12:53 -0500, Todd Slater wrote:
> > I'd be interested in knowing if anybody is successfully using Mailman
> > under User Mode Linux and what sort of specs this requires. I am trying
> > it with 64MB RAM and have memory errors, but I'm also running Apache and
> > Dovecot for IMAP mail. httpd and python seem to use the most memory.
> > That's running on Fedora Core 2.
> >
> > FAQ 1.24:
> > In theory, Mailman should work on any hardware/operating system that
> > fully supports the current version of Python (e.g., 2.3), and includes
> > compatible web and mail servers. This does include virtual machine
> > configurations.
>
> I believe you're assumption is correct, mailman should run fine in a
> virtual machine. When you say you're getting memory errors I assume you
> meant you've exhausted virtual memory and swap space in your VM, if
> that's correct I don't think there is much you can do aside from improve
> your VM. I don't personally have any experience with UML but I can tell
> you that virtualization is getting a lot of attention here of late and
> the preferred technology is Xen, not UML, info on Xen can be found here:
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen

Yes, it's a memory problem that has happened twice now and requires a
restart of the VPS. I believe the first culprit was an Apache module,
Mod_survey, doing a data export; the second, Namazu indexing some
Mailman archives. I think you're right, I'll have to add more RAM, but I
was hoping not to spend the extra $10/month ;) Tech support believes
Mailman is the problem because it was the only thing showing memory use
from ps -aux.

Are you aware of any hosting providers that use Xen?

Thanks for the info,
Todd