[Mailman-Users] debian sarge install help - "Mailman CGI error!!!"

Jed Davidow jed at ultralame.com
Sat Feb 5 00:26:05 CET 2005

I am a relative newbie to linux and debian.

I installed mailman via apt-get, and have since run "dpkg -reconfigure
mailman" a couple times.  I also ran the check_perms script.

I am running with postfix and apache2.  Also running python 2.3 and I
installed python2.3-dev.

When I hit one of the mailman cgi pages, I get a scambled page back,
about halfway down is the following:

    Mailman CGI error!!!
    --with-cgi-gidwebCGI--with-mail-gidmailPYTHONPATH=PYTHONHOME=
    -S%sThe Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This
    entry is being stored in your syslog:Group mismatch error. Mailman
    expected the %s wrapper script to be executed as group "%s", but the
    system's %s server executed the %s script as group "%s". Try tweaking
    the %s server to run the script as group "%s", or re-run configure,
    providing the command line option `%s=%s'.Failure to find group name %s.
    Try adding this group to your system, or re-run configure, providing
    an existing group name with the command line option %s.

There's a lot of posts about fixing this error when the message is
formatted correctly, but not when the strings have not been processed.

I searched the web for some of these strings, and found a bunch of pages
just like mine (broken), but can't find any help getting the cgi to run
correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jed