[Mailman-Users] Mailman + giant lists + the infinite weight of the cosmos

Cabel Sasser cabel at panic.com
Tue Feb 8 19:40:38 CET 2005

We're a Macintosh shareware company that, like some others on this
list, use Mailman for announce-only mailings that our software users
can voluntarily subscribe to to be alerted of new software versions.

I'll get right to the point: one of our Mailman lists currently has
121,047 members. It uses full personalization and auto bounce
processing. I'm sure you know where this is headed... :)

My problem is not with the mailing, but seemingly rather with the user
management. Adding and removing members can take up to 60 seconds to
complete -- many people bail before it's done. The web based management
interface is also very, very slow as well. And, the last time I tried
to send an e-mail to the list, I'm not even sure it made it through all
the way -- the Xserve eventually crashed (!) because I think we were
hitting a massive amount of swap (particularly once the bounces started
rolling in and it tried to remove the members, taking 60 seconds of
processing for each one.)

I could really use this lists' advice!

	1. Should I split the list into a series of smaller lists? What's the
best way to do that easily?

	2. Is there any way to "optimize" this database, other than throwing
more memory at the machine, etc.?

	3. Any general advice for handling ridiculously large lists?

I've seen in the FAQ (1.15) that The Guardian ran a list with 147,000
subscribers, and I'm wondering how it was done! I've read performance
tuning (4.11) but that seems to focus on the mail _delivery_, which is
generally working just fine, not the user management -- think bursting
Python pickles.

Thanks so much in advance for any -- any! -- help you can provide.

Best,
Cabel
Panic