Fwd: [Mailman-Users] Mailman CGI error!!!

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Feb 16 18:04:59 CET 2005

jpsota at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I'm still having trouble with installing Mailman. The original
> error is as follows:
>
> Mailman CGI error!!!
> The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being
> stored in your syslog:
>
> Failure to lookup via getgrgid() the group info for group id -1 that
> this Mailman CGI wrapper is executing under.
> This is probably due to an incorrectly configured system and is not a
> Mailman problem

The really odd thing is that getgid is apparently returning ~0 (gid's
are unsigned, but the error message prints it as an int, hence the -1).
I just looked at my groups and the only group with a large number is
nfsnobody. Are you trying to run this across NFS? If so I'm guessing
your mount point is not correct because if I recall correctly NFS mount
points need special flags added to allow execute permissions to pass
through. I would check that first. If you're not on NFS and/or NFS mount
point is correctly configured then I would check the following:

Are all the scripts in /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/ owned by root in the
group mailman with the group sticky bit set (the 7th letter printed out
by ls -l)

here is an example:
-rwxr-sr-x  1 root mailman 17079 Feb 15 11:21 admin*

What is the contents of your /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman.conf file? The
cgi script should look like this:

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
<Directory /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/>
     AllowOverride None
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny