[Mailman-Users] what gives?

sea23 at seasalt.org sea23 at seasalt.org
Thu Feb 17 02:42:40 CET 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Are you saying that your subscription to this list went as expected
>including the confirmation e-mail and then only after you posted you
>got a confirmation request from the other list?

Yes, my subscription to this list went as expected, including the
confirmation email. Then, relatively shortly after my first post to this
list, which btw, is done by my email client, thunderbird, I got a
confirmation email (in mailman format) for their list.

>>What I think is that these people are subscribed to this list and when
>>someone posts to this list for the first time, they then subscribe them
>>to their list and out goes a confirm email from them.
>>

>That's an interesting theory, but it still could be a coincidence. If
>your theory is correct, why just attempt to subscribe you. why not
>subscribe you without confirmation required? And, why not subscribe me
>too?
>
>Then again, maybe there's someone picking on you?

Sure it could be a coincidence, but it is very probable given the facts.
I simply cannot believe that someone has comprised my box or hijacked my
browser waiting for me to subscribe and post to this mailman list so
that they can then send me a confirm for their list. There are lots
better ways to show someone your site than that. I have never installed
mailman nor joined a mailman list before doing so twice, two weeks
apart. I simply can't imagine that that is not related in any way to me
receiving a confirm mailman email for their list within 24 hours after
posting to this list for the first time (two weeks apart). Come on.

As far as someone picking on me, that is again unlikely. The first time
I subscribed and then posted to this (two weeks ago) list, I did so
using a totally different username and domain and came from a different
ip address.

As for why they don't subscribe me, perhaps they simply want me to click
and visit their site. After all, considering what I think the site does,
I hardly see the benefit of a mailing list :-)

-s