[Mailman-Users] what gives?

sea23 at seasalt.org sea23 at seasalt.org
Thu Feb 17 18:33:25 CET 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>If by "firing off a confirm", you mean attempting to subscribe them to
>the list which then triggers a confirmation, I think this seems likely.

Yes, that is what I mean.

>So what do we have.
>
>Someone is somehow watching this public list and getting addresses of
>(some, all?) first time posters to this list and attempting to
>subscribe those addresses to some other list.
>
>There doesn't seem to be any security issue here. as this list is
>public and anyone can subscribe to it or visit its archive. The fact
>that both this list and the target list are Mailman lists may be
>relevant in some way (in the mind of the perpetrator), but it doesn't
>imply a Mailman issue. The annoyance factor is minimal. You get the
>confirmation and ignore it. Nothing further happens.

Yes, now that we uncovered what was happening, it appears fairly
innocuous. But when it happened I have to say that it was a bit
unnerving since I obviously had just installed mailman and wondered
"what the heck is going on".

>It doesn't seem to me that there is any security issue, Mailman issue
>or other issue here that we as a group can do anything about.

Yes, obviously NOT a security issue.  I was simply debunking the
"hijacked browser" scenario and wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

-s