[Mailman-Users] Re: mail not being sent/received

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Feb 18 18:27:16 CET 2005

At 11:27 AM -0500 2005-02-18, jpsota at gmail.com wrote:

>>  2) Your MTA is only listening your local loopback, i.e. your own machine
>>  127.0.0.1, and not your machines IP address.
>
>  Hmm... I'm using sendmail. Can you please tell me how I'd check to see
>  if this is the problem, and how to change it if it is?

	Try this:

% netstat -na | grep '\.25[       ]'
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.25           *.*                    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0  ::1.25                 *.*                    LISTEN

	Or this:

% netstat -na | grep '\.25[      ]'
tcp4       0      0  *.25                   *.*                    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0  *.25                   *.*                    LISTEN

	Note that there are two white space characters between the two
square brackets -- there is a space character, and a tab character.

	If you see output like the second example, then you have an MTA
that is listening on port 25 on all IP addresses and interfaces, for
both IPv4 and IPv6.  If you see output like the first example, then
it's listening on port 25 for the IPv4 address 127.0.0.1, and port 25
on the equivalent IPv6 address.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755