[Mailman-Users] addendum on options-based disable andreminder messages query

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Feb 19 00:36:33 CET 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 7:36 PM -0800 2005-02-12, Lauren Weinstein wrote:
>
>>  One additional query.  Assuming that manually-disabled delivery
>>  accounts do normally receive some sort of reminder message about
>>  their disabled status, is this functionality affected if
>>  bounce processing for a given list is itself set to OFF.

See the documentation in cron/disabled for options that control to whom
notifications are sent. The default crontab command sends notices only
to members disabled by bounce.

>	The only automated message I can think of that might be sent to
>people who have disabled themselves would be the monthly password
>reminder, but that should also be disabled.  If not, they should be
>able to disable the sending of the monthly password reminder as well.
>
>	If they did get a monthly password reminder sent to them, then
>depending on how other settings are configured, it might
>theoretically be possible for them to be auto-unsubscribed by the
>bounce handling system, if the monthly password reminder resulted in
>error messages coming back to the system.

Password reminders are sent to "disabled by user" members unless they
are also turned off by the user, but they come from the site list so
even if they bounce they won't be auto-unsubscribed except maybe from
the site list.