[Mailman-Users] Non members to view archives selectively?

Brian Wilson bwilson at clickshift.com
Fri Feb 18 17:50:45 CET 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Anne Shroeder - Internet Society wrote:

> My boss wants me to give selective access to our archives.  That is,
> they are not supposed to be public, but she wants some selected
> individuals to be able to view the archives without the ability to post
> to the list (or change their membership information).

This is a function easily provided by the web server.

For example with Apache you can put an .htaccess file into the
archive directory for one list that will cause the username/password
dialog to pop up.  The disadvantage is that there is no fancy gui
to manage the password file so if you have 100's of 'selected
individuals' with unique logins it will be a management problem.

One .htaccess file that I use looks like this.

AuthType Basic
AuthName "HPVA members"
AuthUserfile /home/servers/ihpva/htpasswd_hpva_members

# a page telling people why access is restricted
ErrorDocument 401       /error/401-HPVA-member.html

<Limit GET POST>
   require valid-user
   order deny,allow
   allow from all