[Mailman-Users] More info

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Feb 21 01:28:58 CET 2005

Tad Dixon wrote:

>No, when I do that, it says there is no mailing list name create. I am over
>my head I think.

No, that's the correct response from mydomain/mailman/admin/create

>I just installed this and I dont know what to do. I do not have an admin
>password. I have been reading up and it seems like I have to create a site
>list with an admin password first? Can I do that through a web site or do I
>have to run those commands?  If not, how do I run the commands?

You have to create the site password with bin/mmsitepass first.

in a command shell, 'cd' to the mailman installed directory (aka
$prefix)

Run 'bin/mmsitepass --help' to get the options. then run it again to
set the site password and optionally a separate list create password.
You don't need a separate list create password, you can use the site
password. The separate password is in case you want to give people the
ability to create lists from the web without giving them the ability
to do everything which the site password allows.

Then you can create the site list (named 'mailman' unless you changed
it in mm_cfg.py) from the web.