[Mailman-Users] Moving Mailman to New Machine

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Feb 25 03:07:02 CET 2005

Troy Bull wrote:

>I have a machine that I am upgrading.  Right now it runs mailman and
>works very well.  I am making a complete backup and then going to format
>and install a new version of linux.  After which I would like to restore
>just the lists and their data.  Mailman its self will be installed with
>the new linux version, it comes as a package.   My question is what
>directories / folders do i need to put back.
>
>It looks like /usr/local/mailman/lists has the lists data,  if I restore
>this directory, and my /etc/aliases file will my lists "come back" and
>start working again?

You may need to run newaliases to rebuild the alias database from
/etc/aliases depending on your MTA

Ideally, your system will be quiescent when you make your backup so the
various queue directories in qfiles/ will be empty. Otherwise you may
want to restore these.

If you have archives, you'll want to restore the archives/ directory.

You might want to restore the site password file and list creator
password file if any from the data/ directory or just create new ones
with bin/mmsitepass.

If you want your old Mailman logs, you can restore those.