[Mailman-Users] mmsearch now python RESOLVED && edithtmlpermissions BCP.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Feb 25 06:42:47 CET 2005

Gerald wrote:

>Next question/stumbling block. This one seems simple, but I need to know
>the proper way to fix this. Apache/httpd runs as user www. Mailman runs
>as user mailman. The mailman check_perms file says everything looks ok.
>When you try to edit a page from the mailman interface ("Edit the Public
>HTML pages"-> "General List Information" for example->"Submit changes"),
>you get
>
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.5
>
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/mailman/lists/listname/en/listinfo.html'
>
>ls -al $file =
>-rw-r--r--  1 mailman  mailman  575 Jul 18  2004 /usr/local/mailman/lists/listname/en/listinfo.html
>
>Who typically gives? Apache, mailman, or some unknown by me third option?

The cgi-bin wrappers check that they are invoked by the configured web
server group (in your case whatever group the www user is in) and then
sets groupid to mailman. That's why everything needs the setgid bit
set.
You shouldn't have to change any groups for Mailman or Apache if things
work at all. In particular, if you make Apache run in the mailman
group, you break Mailman's security.

Anyway, were the en/ directory and the en/listinfo.html file created by
the "edit the public html" process to begin with?

On my system when they are, they look like

drwxr-sr-x    2 www      mailman      4096 Feb 24 21:37 en
and
-rw-r--r--    1 www      mailman      4153 Feb 24 21:37 listinfo.html