[Mailman-Users] Found new Subscriber Moderate box unchecked and MIME attachments now appearing

HPA homepage at efn.org
Thu Feb 24 19:07:03 CET 2005

Hello-

I've searched the Mailman Users FAQ and archives and cannot find an answer
to my issue below.

Our moderated Mailman list (running on Mailman 2.1.4) had been chugging
along just fine for the past five months. Then abruptly this week we found
several new subscribers posting to the list unmoderated! When I investigated
Mailman admin settings I found the new subscriber moderate box unchecked!
How could this setting be changed without human interaction? Anyway I
re-checked it and re-set all accounts to moderated.

At the same time this occurred, and thus may be related, some posts to the
list began showing up with attachments. Before this time we had been
successfully filtering attachments, without a single attachment making it
through to the list.

Example of a recent post which included attachments is included below (with
relevant headers). Note the two attachments in the post below appear as a
graphical rule (horizontal line), one separating the header from the body
and the other between the body and the footer (see below). (At least this is
how they appear in Outlook Express, which by necessity I use to view
messages posted to the list).

We have the list setup to convert all HTML to text. Below is the lists
current 'Content Filtering' settings.

Any thoughts on why we are suddenly observing the appearance of attachments
and any recommendations to filter them out? We're just happy with straight
text.

Thanks,

Woody

--
Current 'Content Filtering' settings:

Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the settings
below?
Yes

Remove message attachments that have a matching content type.
None listed.

Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
text/plain

Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text?
yes.

Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules.
Discard

Below is example of list message including HTML (with relevant header info).

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00

News list:

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00

BODY of message...