[Mailman-Users] newbie question

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Jan 22 17:51:00 CET 2005

At 8:09 AM -0600 2005-01-22, C. Jon Hinkle wrote:

>  Anyway, I think I had come to about the same configuration that you all
>  suggested, and it is nice to have confirmation that I'm thinking down
>  the right track.  I hadn't thought about Brad's point about 130 large
>  attachments, but it is a good one.  One of the things we were thinking
>  about was a weekly distribution of a dozen 100K spreadsheets.  I guess
>  that's out.

	100KB attachments are not likely to be too much of a problem.
The mail systems I've administered recently have had an average
message size of 60-120KB, so the kind of attachment you're talking
about would fall completely within that range, and should be
sustainable for multiple users for long periods of time.

	Of course, those were the mail systems I was administering, and
this may or may not be true for your mail system.

	You need to look at what your mail system is able to handle, and
decide what kind of load would be excessive.  This needs to be done
in close concert with your mail system administrators.

	But certainly, this is something that you need to keep an eye on.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755