[Mailman-Users] Interference from Cpanel mailman?

Glen Low glen.low at pixelglow.com
Thu Jan 27 17:06:11 CET 2005

Hi All,

I've successfully implemented a fetchmail + mailman solution on my
server, so that fetchmail will poll my web host for new mail and pipe
it directly to mailman on my server. I've set up some PHP scripts on my
web host server to "reverse proxy" the CGI interface from my server to
the web host server, and I will regularly (or automatically) FTP up the
archives. So far the setup seems to hang together fairly well, except
for one thing.

I subscribe to the list and get a confirm message. I reply to the
confirm message and the thelist-request mailbox receives it, and
eventually I can see fetchmail delivering it to mailman, and the
interface reports that I am subscribed, plus I get the "welcome to the
list" message -- however -- I also got a Mail delivery failed message
back, presumably from the (installed on my webhost?) Cpanel version of
Mailman. I can't see  how it would have intercepted the message.

Perhaps I haven't created all the mailboxes at the web host that I need?

mailman
mailman-admin
thelist
thelist-admin
thelist-bounces
thelist-confirm
thelist-join
thelist-leave
thelist-owner
thelist-request
thelist-subscribe
thelist-unsubscribe

Is the Cpanel mailman trying to intercept a mail going to one of the
mailman-xxx mailboxes that I haven't created?

Here's a partial listing of the spurious email, names changed to
protect the innocent :-) ...