[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.5 VERP / Sendmail

Lauren Weinstein lauren at vortex.com
Fri Jan 28 04:37:22 CET 2005

Greetings.  I'm evaluating Mailman (2.1.5) on some test lists, and
seem to be having a problem getting VERP enabled.  I've set what
seem like reasonable values in mm_cfg.py (please see below).
However, envelope From addresses are still un-VERPed (e.g.
mailman-bounce at foo.com) [testing on non-digest immediate delivery
messages of course].

Two other questions: I assume that with sendmail it's necessary to
build an alias file to handle the returning VERP bounces, since
no intrinsic mechanism for this exists within sendmail itself?
Also, I was surprised to discover that my mm_cfg.py file gets overwritten
with the "empty" distribution version if "make install" is re-run.
I had been under the impression that mm_cfg.py wouldn't be overwritten
in such a case.

Any suggestions on these issues would be appreciated.  Thanks very much.

--Lauren--

# These variables control the format and frequency of VERP-like delivery for
# better bounce detection.  VERP is Variable Envelope Return Path, defined
# However, we're technically only "VERP-like" because we're doing the envelope
# The first variable describes how to encode VERP envelopes.  It must contain

VERP_FORMAT = '%(bounces)s+%(mailbox)s=%(host)s'

# VERP format and regexp for probe messages

VERP_PROBE_FORMAT = '%(bounces)s+%(token)s'

VERP_PROBE_REGEXP = r'^(?P<bounces>[^+]+?)\+(?P<token>[^@]+)@.*$'

# A perfect opportunity for doing VERP is the password reminders, which are
# VERPs on all password reminders.
VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = No
# individual recipient.  Set this to Yes to enable VERPs on all personalized

VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes

# And finally, we can VERP normal, non-personalized deliveries.  However,
# often to VERP regular deliveries.  This is the interval, in number of
# messages, to do a VERP recipient address.  The same variable controls both
# regular and digest deliveries.  Set to 0 to disable occasional VERPs, set to
# 1 to VERP every delivery, or to some number > 1 for only occasional VERPs.
VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

# For nicer confirmation emails, use a VERP-like format which encodes the
# Format is like VERP_FORMAT above, but with the following substitutions:
VERP_CONFIRM_FORMAT = '%(addr)s+%(cookie)s'

# This is analogous to VERP_REGEXP, but for splitting apart the
# VERP_CONFIRM_FORMAT.

VERP_CONFIRM_REGEXP = r'^(?P<addr>[^+]+?)\+(?P<cookie>[^@]+)@.*$'
# Set this to Yes to enable VERP-like (more user friendly) confirmations

VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes