Solved - Re: [Mailman-Users] mailmanlistinfo without slash

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Sat Jan 29 01:46:33 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net>
To: "John Fleming" <john at wa9als.com>; "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net>;
<mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] mailmanlistinfo without slash

> John Fleming wrote:

I think that's right.  I've done several things since my last post, and now
everything's working great and life is good!  I'd like to summarize for my
own record and in case there's anyone as inept as me lurking here:

1.  The original problem was that on a list's archive page, there was an
incorrect link to "More Information".  That link was missing a slash, i.e.
/mailmanlistinfo/listname.  Several ways to handle that were mentioned, but
I ended up saving the lists' .pck files and then deleting the lists and
recreating and substituting the old .pck files.  That fixed the original
problem, and the missing slash appeared. However, there were now some
virtual domain/weird link problems.

When I went to list A's archive page, the More Information link was to
another domain, the main domain of the site.  If I clicked this link, I
actually went to the correct page for list A, even with the correct domain
(although technically incorrect in the link).  When I started looking around
and messing with other lists, things got really confusing!

First I was told I should use fix_url.py.  Then we decided I would also need
to rebuild the archive after running fix_url.py to get the link corrected on
the Archives page.

3.  After some learning of how to use withlist, fix_url, and arch, I
methodically went through each of my lists (I only have 4), running first
fix_url and then rebuilding the archive.  This got confusing to this newbie
because when I rebuilt the archive, the ownership of the archive directory
changed to the user I was running as rather than www-data.  The owner of the
archive has to be www-data or apache wouldn't let me surf that page later.

4.  So for each list, I ran:

bin/withlist -r -l fix_url listname --urlhost=desireddomain

bin/arch --wipe listname /dev/null

Then I changed the ownership of /archives/listname (and maybe
/archives/listname.mbox) to www-data.  These were both group list and didn't
need to be changed.

Then I restarted mailman (unnecessary?)

Now when I click on the Archives link on a listinfo page, the link contains
the proper slashes, and I am taken to a page that says there are no
archives.  The link for More Information on that archive page uses the
correct domain!  YAY!  Life is good!

I'm sure most of you knew all of this, but I've learned a lot.  FAQ or no,
when someone tells a newbie to run fix_url.py, you'd be surprised how
difficult it can turn out to be.  ;-)  Thanks especially to Mark and Tokio
and to everyone for your patience and bandwidth.  - John