[Mailman-Users] Bug in matching acceptable_aliases - was: Are the "regexps" used in Mailman reallyRegularExpressions?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jan 30 03:28:42 CET 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Jeff Groves wrote:
>
>>So, would that "never match" scenario be a feature or a bug?
>
>It would be a bug if it's true. As I said, I just looked quickly at the
>code. I would have to verify actual behavior before drawing a final
>conclusion.
>
>>My opinion is that Mailman should do the Python equivalent of a "tolower" to every email
>>address (and every regular expression) before applying the regular expressions filter....
>
>In most cases the IGNORECASE flag is specified for the match which
>accomplishes the same thing. I didn't see it here, but as I said, I'm
>not that confident that case is not ignored.

I've had a chance to test this out and my original impression is
correct. Currently if the pattern in acceptable_aliases has any
upper-case only characters in it, it won't ever match.

I have submitted a bug report at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1112349&group_id=103&atid=100103
(thus the Cc: to Mailman-Developers)