[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.6 slowness...?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
Sat Jul 16 14:15:33 CEST 2005

Our load averages are definitely quite small -- hovering below 1.0.
Our sendmail configuration hasn't changed since we upgraded to 2.1.6,
which is why we're [initially] thinking that it isn't a sendmail issue.
  Our disks are also quite far from full -- we have oodles of disk
space.

Clarifying question, however -- will mailman only make one SMTP
connection at a time (and block all further outgoing processing until
that one SMTP connection is complete)?  Is this why you're suggesting
proper tuning of SMTP_MAX_RCPTS?

We didn't change the value of SMTP_MAX_RCPTS between 2.1.5 and 2.1.6
(500).  Perhaps this is too high (none of our lists have close to 500
subscribers in a single domain).  We routinely see large sendmail
outgoing queues (and did with 2.1.5, too).

A comment in one of the prior e-mails made me go check the other qfiles
directories -- we have a few hundred files in the qfiles/bad directory
(~200) and a few thousand in qfiles/shunt (~4000).  What are these
files? (pardon the newbie question)

Thanks for all your suggestions -- we're checking them in the
background, but it takes a little time to check properly.  Also, based
on your replies, I think we need to triple check with our sendmail
maintainers and ensure that they really, really didn't change anything
between when we were running 2.1.5 and 2.1.6 (they swear that they
didn't, but we'll ask again).

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
{+} Post Doctoral Research Associate, Open Systems Lab, Indiana
University
{+} http://www.osl.iu.edu/