[Mailman-Users] Spam from Mailman

Ken Carter KCarter at shelbyed.k12.al.us
Tue Jul 19 14:07:14 CEST 2005

That was my thought as well, but since I really don't manage Mailman, it
manages me, I figured I'd ask you more experienced mailman list mavens
:)  Thanks!

Ken Carter
Network Administration, Shelby County Schools
410 East College Street, Columbiana, AL 35051
(205) 682-5829 Voice, (205) 682-7094 FAX

>>> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> 7/18/2005 9:05:52 PM

    Ken> Our lists do not accept posting from members at all.  They
    Ken> are info only lists and only the list admin has the ability
    Ken> to post. This is why we were puzzled that one receiver would
    Ken> get a different message than anyone else on that list.

I would guess that somebody else on that list has both the list and
the recipient in their addressbook.  The third party got infected by a
To/From randomizing virus or worm whose payload is distributing spam
by mail, and the malware randomly picked the mailing list to spoof as
the author of the spam.

Non-list members probably wouldn't report, since the list is just an
unknown author on the spam.

Unless you can get your hands on the message as received to check for
the signs of delivery via mailman, there's no way to verify that
hypothesis, though.

If the recipient is moderately skilled with their mail program they
may be able to tell you whether Mailman's List-* headers are present.
If absent (and you have Mailman configured to add the List-* headers,
as is strongly encouraged), then Mailman didn't send it.  If present,
you have to worry about Mailman, but that's no proof---a sufficiently
nasty virus might add those headers.

--
School of Systems and Information Engineering
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp