[Mailman-Users] Mailman not sending - Solved(?)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 21:18:47 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 11:27 -0700, bronto at csd-bes.net wrote:
> Thanks for your corrections and tips.
> I made the changes, and it still didn't work.  I read the thread you 
> referenced, and verified that my permissions and users were correct.
> I then went back to look at my dns and machine settings, and found that 
> my host name had reverted back to the machine name, not the full name I 
> changed to it to previously that "fixed" the problem.  So it wasn't 
> that it was working for just one list and not others, it was that the 
> fix that I previously made reverted before I tested other mailing 
> lists.  When I changed it back again, all the files in the retry queue 
> flushed and I got a bunch of messages delivered on serveral lists.
> I'm running SuSE 9.2; maybe there's a process running somewhere that is 
> doing this.  I know there are processes that keep permissions and other 
> settings in sync.  If this reverts again, I think the logical solution 
> would be to find where SuSE is deciding what hostname to use and change 
> it, or to change mm-cfg to match the hostname that SuSE wants to use.

I can't speak for SuSE nor do I know how you changed your hostname, but
I can tell you this, if you used the plain hostname command that change
will not persist across reboots. See the hostname man page on your
system for how to make a permanent change. Also, if your machine is
being assigned a permanent IP address via a local DHCP server you will
likely have to make that change in the DHCP configuration. 

John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list