[Mailman-Users] Incoming messages are not received in Mailman+ Postfix

roy vinner roypivn at indiana.edu
Tue Jul 26 17:17:59 CEST 2005

John Dennis wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 18:50 -0500, roy vinner wrote:
>
>>Greetings!
>>
>>I am having a problem with receiving any mail by the web server. On the
>>other hand, outgoing mail is deliver okay. I suspect that it may be due
>>to a misconfigured postfix.
>

> I'm sorry, but this does not make sense, perhaps its vocabulary. One
> never receives mail via a web server. I think what you're trying to say
> is that if someone attempts to send mail to your SMTP server (postfix)
> it fails, correct?

You are right. I way saying 'receiving mail via a web server' because
any mail sent to that machine should be processed there. There is no
other dedicated mail server which would do a job for it
like(host.domain.com for the server and mail.host.domain.com for the
mail server).

>If so make sure your SMTP server is listening for
> outside connectons:
>
> inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost
>
> Make sure your local_recipient_maps is correctly configured, you can
> turn it off this way for now:
>
> local_recipient_maps =

I've done both and rebooted the computer.

> Make sure your firewall is passing port 25 (SMTP)
>
> Then from another machine try this (replace mymachine.mynetwork with
> your DNS address):
>
> % telnet mymachine.mynetwork.com 25

I tried 'ping'ing and received no answer for 128.252.27.164 .

My system admin tested it and reported that "nothing is listening on
that port:
------
sg at james% telnet nrg.wustl.edu 25
Trying 128.252.27.164...