[Mailman-Users] Single List not Working

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 29 00:56:54 CEST 2005

Shane Harsch wrote:

>I have a single list among 10 others running on Mailman 2.1.5 under SuSE
>9.2 with Postfix MTA. All the lists are working but one list.
>
>Monitoring /var/log/mail I see the message come in and get handed off to
>mailman for every list, including "problemlist".

By handed off, do you mean you've seen that the message is actually
piped to the wrapper with a command like

|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post problemlist

>Monitoring ~mailman/logs/* I see the message post for all lists except
>"problemlist".

and you see nothing relevant in 'error' or 'smtp-failure'

>I have verified I can even send a message to the owner of problemlist.
>
>In reviewing the FAQ
>(http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp) I
>have verified that everything there is accurate. Obviously, if it works
>for every other list, things should be okay.

Assuming the aliases are OK for problemlist.

>Since I can send a message to the owner of the list, it seems to only be
>a problem with the post script for that particular list. Has something
>become frozen?
>
>There are no lock files, no qfiles.

not even in qfiles/retry/ ?

>When I send a message to
>problemlist, not a single entry is made in any of the log files. But
>when I send to any other list, one immediately shows up in post.
>
>Now, postfix config got mucked up a few days ago and there were many
>rejections by the local mail host for problemlist. My guess is some
>setting somewhere got flagged telling the list to stop trying, but I
>can't tell what or where, especially since bounce processing was turned
>off for this list.

No such setting exists within Mailman. Sometimes a list will stop if
there is something bad in the retry queue or the digest mbox file.
There are some posts touching on this in the mailman-users list
archives.

Are you certain postfix is correctly handing the message to the Mailman
wrapper?

Is lists/problemlist/config.pck OK? Can you dump it with
bin/config-list -o?  Can you access the list in the web interface?

If there's a digest mbox file in lists/problemlist try moving it aside.