[Mailman-Users] (re-post) smtp failures, please help

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Wed Jun 1 16:43:02 CEST 2005

Thank you.

I'm running on linux (on this server, an older SuSE version). Mailman 2.1.4,
Python 2.3, the mta is courier.

I've been using mailman for quite some time and it has always seemed to work
without problems.

But I'm having trouble with messages being sent to the list owner
(administrator) for a moderated list. The error I see in the log is

SMTP session failure: 517, Syntax error. msgid: <...>

So for example I have a list called "ricardo1", and it is configured as
moderated. When I send an email to the list, it is forwarded on to the list
administrator.

In mailman's logs, I see:

---- smtp log ------
Jun 01 07:02:56 2005 (22702)
<mailman.484.1117634575.22700.ricardo1 at lists.americasnet.com> smtp for 1
recips, completed in 0.154 seconds
Jun 01 07:03:15 2005 (22702)
<mailman.484.1117634575.22700.ricardo1 at lists.americasnet.com> smtp for 2
recips, completed in 16.207 seconds

---- smtp-failure log ----
Jun 01 07:03:06 2005 (22702) SMTP session failure: 517, Syntax error.,
msgid: <mailman.484.1117634575.22700.ricardo1 at lists.americasnet.com>
Jun 01 07:03:15 2005 (22702) SMTP session failure: 517, Syntax error.,
msgid: <mailman.484.1117634575.22700.ricardo1 at lists.americasnet.com>

I also tested this by sending a message directly to the list owner
(ricardo1-owner at lists.americasnet.com)

and I get the exact same error...

The list is configured with the owner/administrator as my own email,
ricardo at americasnet.com

Is there a way I can manually run the mailman program with debug to try and
see what's going on in the smtp session ?

Thanks
Ricardo