[Mailman-Users] Finding abandoned lists and most recent activity

Mike Alberghini sysmda at zim.gsu.edu
Wed Jun 8 21:08:16 CEST 2005

I'm the admin of a Mailman system with several hundred lists.  I'm trying to
write some scripts that will scan the mailman directory tree and find lists
that are abandoned, never used, etc.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how to know when the last post to
a list was.  We have lists that archive (easy) lists that don't archive and
lists that used to archive but no longer do.

Is there a flag or a file with a last-modified date that will tell me when the
last post to a list was?  I'm looking for actual posts, not messages that were
sent and rejected, deferred or held.

I'm trying to find the following kinds of lists:

1.  Lists that have been posted to in the past six months
2.  Lists that have not been posted to in the past six months
3.  Lists that have never been posted to.

I'm having trouble figuring out the difference between a list that has had no
activity and one that does not archive.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Michael Alberghini
Software Systems Engineer