[Mailman-Users] [SOLVED] Re: after check_perms -f -- cgis no longer work

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Thu Jun 9 23:07:07 CEST 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> Hi
>
> On a gentoo linux box with a from source made 2.1.5 (not from
> emerge), mailman was happily running, except some archives were not
> being updated.  I ran a bin/check_perms -f and now the cgis
> (listinfo or any of them) are no longer working and the apache
> error log shows the (infamous) "Premature end of script headers: /
> web/xxxx.com/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo" error.
>
> Neither mailman or apache have been updated recently and before the
> check_perms it was working fine.  If I go in as mailman and run the
> cgi listinfo at the command line, for example, it dumps the right
> html.
>
> I went back and looked at the config in the mailman source and it
> has good cgi_gid set for example.
>
> I am stumped. I have messed around with the permissions and
> ownership of the cgi and run check_perms -f a few times (says no
> problems) but the cgis won't run.

I found the suexec.log in the apache log dir (had not noticed it
before :-(  )

In it was

[2005-06-09 14:55:29]: info: (target/actual) uid: (mailman/mailman)
gid: (mailman/mailman) cmd: listinfo
[2005-06-09 14:55:29]: error: directory is writable by others: (/
local/web/object.com/mailman/cgi-bin)

If I take the group write off the mailman cgi directory it works now...

maybe check_perms should check for that as it is probably a common
case, especially in virtual hosts situations

Thanks
Chad

> Any hints or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chad
>
> ---
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC