[Mailman-Users] Still installation woes

Rob Shepherd robshep at informatics.bangor.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 18:30:21 CEST 2005

John Dennis wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 21:54 +0100, Rob Shepherd wrote:
>
>>I can't believe this is giving me so much trouble.

fixed and working now.... Although I can't work out what I actually did
different.... just plodding through the install script once more...

/usr/local/mailman is now owned root:mailman instead of mailman:mailman but I
can't see that making a difference if the perms are coreect.

thanks to those that lended a helping hand.....

One further thing though,

I ran genalias and then added the hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases to postfix,

the next stage informed me to add hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/mailman-virtual
in the case where I am running virtual domain lists. which I am....with the
domains in postfix already running and configured

but this db did not yet exist so postfix/smtpd flipped out....

After the sucessful installation with proper perms on the right files I then
tried to add a virtual list via web, however the perms had come up wrong on

/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db as -rw-r--r-- mailman:mailman so apache
flipped out too.... as it couldn't write the db with group mailman...

to work round this I....

bin/rmlist mylist
touch data/aliases data/aliases.db data/virtual-mailman data/virtual-mailman.db
chmod 660 data/aliases*
chmod 660 data/virtual-mailman*

Then postfix and apache2 were happy.

So can genaliases or the install script not make an empty virtual-mailman file
and assoc' db in addition to the standard aliases files....

I suspect it boils down to umask for the associated users, but it will always be
mailman doing the genaliases to begin with. It's not much wasted space for
people not using virtual stuff and it makes the initialisation happier for those
that do...

shall I submit an RFE or bug for this....

Cheers

Rob

--
/**