[Mailman-Users] Need assistance trouble shooting problem after moving Mailman from one box to another moving Mailman from one box to another

Thomas Waters waterstc+ at pitt.edu
Thu Jun 23 13:58:41 CEST 2005

OK.  I believe the problem(s) are several, but the biggest one deals
with postfix and the aliases.

As per check perms.  I ran as check_perms -f and there were a lot of
lines all ending in (fixing)  but this was at the end of that:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 367, in ?
     checkdata()
   File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 321, in checkdata
     mode = statmode(path)
   File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 81, in statmode
     return os.stat(path)[ST_MODE]
OSError: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/private/var/mailman/
lists/.DS_Store/config.pck'

As far as rebuilding the aliases table:

rxweb:~ tcwaters$ sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/genaliases
postalias: fatal: open /private/var/mailman/data/aliases.db:
Permission denied
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/genaliases", line 116, in ?
     main()
   File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/genaliases", line 106, in main
     MTA.create(mlist, nolock=True, quiet=quiet)
   File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
     _update_maps()
   File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in
_update_maps
     raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /private/var/
mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

As per the postfix main.cf, here is what is there under aliases:

#alias_maps = dbm:/etc/aliases
#alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
#alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, nis:mail.aliases
#alias_maps = netinfo:/aliases

doesn't look like there is any reference to mailman, correct?

Now, the web UI for mailman works.  I can add members to lists,
delete members, etc.  The archives show up fine.  The issue is
surrounding postfix and mailman talking to each other.

Messages being sent to the server get this returned after a while:
Your message has been enqueued and undeliverable for 1 day
to the following recipients:

   Recipient address: tcwaters at pharmacy.pitt.edu
   Reason: unable to deliver this message after 1 day

Delivery attempt history for your mail:

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:32:29 -0400 (EDT)
TCP active open: Failed connect()    Error: connection refused

Please note.  tcwaters at pharmacy.pitt.edu is not a mailman list, just
an email acct.  so maybe the problem is with postfix and not with
Mailman.  Or in my attempts to fix the mailman problem, I created
other problems.

Thx,